Don’t Forget These on Your First Day at Work
You’ll be better off
This post is a republish of one I wrote a few months back but with a twist.
Inspired by a question a friend asked me today. He said, “it’s my first day at work (he’s on probation) and I wonder what else I should take with me”. I’m sure he was expecting me to ask if he got his coffee mug because I’m the coffee guy or a cable to connect his computer to the monitor or a black ring, or a shoe with the swash to impress the ladies.
Here’s what I said:
- A strong work ethic
- Enthusiasm and a positive attitude
- The right body language
- Going the extra mile and trying again
- Being prepared
- Curiosity, an open mind, and being a great listener (and learner)
- Empathy, kindness, and a desire to help
- Being on time
- Respect for people, their work, and contributions
Take those with you, take them everywhere.